The Bugsy Breakfast Smoothie
A breakfast (or anytime) smoothie that feeds you AND your happy gut bugs so you can both thrive! Happy gut bugs support healthy digestion, bowel function, and gut-brain axis nourishment - thats a happy gut AND mind so why not?!
300 ml preferred nut milk (no added sugar)
1/2 medium frozen banana
1/4 cup frozen raspberries
Squeeze of half a lemon
1 handful baby spinach
1/2 Tbsp. psyllium husks
1/2 Tbsp. whole flaxseeds
1 Tbsp. organic hemp protein or hemp hearts*
1 tsp cinnamon powder - Cinnamon is used in herbal medicine to support healthy blood sugar regulation. This is a perfect at-home, affordable, and gentle use of herbal medicine.
1. Add all ingredients to a blender or bullet, blending until smooth and viola!
2. Enjoy in the sun *optional but suggested. Did you know that eating while calm increases your ability to digest your food. This means more nutrients and less digestive symptoms such as bloating, pain and discomfort, and reflux.
*Why protein and why hemp?
Reasons to add a good quality protein powder to your smoothie include:
- Increased protein requirement due to growth stage (adolescence, pregnancy, older age)
- Increase protein requirement such as in high physical activity levels in athletes
- For greater satiety. Stay fuller for longer
- To reduce unwanted spikes in blood sugar and insulin levels. Well managed blood sugar levels leads to greater balance and health in many areas including mood, healthy hunger cues, vital organ health, healthy inflammatory levels.
Reasons to choose hemp - seeds/hearts or protein powder
I find that organic hemp seeds or protein powder are great for adopting that good old whole food way of eating. The hemp plant is the non-psychoactive strain of cannabis grown specifically for its product including food, fabrics, and building materials and the seeds used to make hemp protein are different from those used to make medical marijuana. Hemp is high in many other nutrients including essential fatty acids beneficial for healthy heart and brain function, amino acids, and sulfur-containing compounds which all have high nutritional value.